"High water" Memory fragmentation still a thing?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 02:52:49 EDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 5:09 PM, dieter <dieter at handshake.de> wrote:
> Python does not use memory compaction but places many objects on the
> heap and therefore, long running processes
> usually are subject to memory fragmentation. As a consequence, those
> processes need to be restarted from time to time.

Pike doesn't use memory compaction either, and also places pretty much
everything on the heap. Yet its processes don't need to be restarted;
in fact, everything's designed around keeping stuff running
permanently. As Emile said, it's not a requirement, it's a
compensation technique. I've yet to build a Python process that runs
for an entire year (as I'm not confident that I can get it so right
that I don't need to update any code), so I can't say for sure that it
would work, but I do have Python processes running for multiple months
without suffering serious fragmentation.

ChrisA