__missing__ for the top-level Python script

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 13:12:37 EST 2014

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 5:09 AM, Skip Montanaro
<skip.montanaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 12:49 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Interesting data point there - that you actually have it handy and
>> choose not to use it.
>
> And, I believe I wrote it. Can't have a worse recommendation than
> that. A cook who doesn't eat his own cooking. :-) I think I disabled
> its import sometime in the distant past when it interacted badly with
> something else, but for the life of me, I can't remember the details
> anymore.

It doesn't ideally handle loops, as it'll go back to the top of the
loop - that was my first thought. As it has to go and exec stuff all
over again, it's entirely possible it'll have other issues.

> I will occasionally paste functions from Python source files into the
> interactive interpreter. This autoload functionality can be kind of
> handy there so you don't have to go back and also grab the imports
> from the top of the source file.

Yeah, that does help. Of course, it can't handle a from import, but I
wouldn't expect anything to catch those.

ChrisA