html page mail link to webmail program

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Tue Nov 11 20:35:11 EST 2014

On 11/11/2014 05:08 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> writes:
>
>> My wife (using a Win7 machine) will be on a web page that has a link
>> to mail somebody.  She clicks on it, and it opens the currently
>> installed but unused Thunderbird.
>>
>> Ideally, what would happen is a new window/tab would open to gmail
>> with a new compose window with the email address in place and the
>> cursor in the subject line.
>
> What is the Python question? I can't see anywhere that you would be
> using Python code to address this.

Really?  Huh.

Okay, the explicit Python question:  Clicking on a mail link in a web browser can start an external program.  I would
like that external program to be a Python script that: opens a new tab in the currently running browser (or a new
default browser window), loads up the default web mail client (or one specified if there is no way to know/have a
default), navigates to the compose pane (or starts there if possible), enters in the email address from the link that
was passed to it, and, if not too much more, move the cursor to the subject field.

Surely this can be done in Python.

--
~Ethan~