Advice for choosing correct architecture/tech for a hobby project

Aseem Bansal asmbansal2 at gmail.com
Thu May 22 14:54:51 EDT 2014

I am working on a hobby project - a Bookmarker https://github.com/anshbansal/Bookmarker.

Basically bookmarks like in webbrowser stored in a app. The twist is storage by categories. I have spent some time on choosing the correct tech for making this project but it seems it would be better to take some advice on this after I went through this discussion on django forums https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/django-users/rSqSftkl5mg.

I want to be able to add bookmarks to the app through browser. I want a front-end from which I am able to browse the bookmarks. The browsing front-end should have a search option(search for category) for filtering the bookmarks.

As per these requirements that I have framed so far I thought that a web framework would be a good choice and so I chose Django. The reason being the capability to add bookmarks through browser can be done easily through JavaScript. But I hit a snag today that webbrowser's won't allow client to open hyperlinks with file protocol. I have both offline and online bookmarks so that was a problem for me.

Now I am at my experience's ends. I have spent 15-20 days' spare time trying to decide the technology and now this snag. Can someone advice on this? Am I using correct technology?