OT: This Swift thing

Mark H Harris harrismh777 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 10:53:13 EDT 2014

On 6/4/14 9:24 AM, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> Surely your local colleagues realize that Python has been around for
> 20-odd years now, that indentation-based block structure has been
> there since Day One, and that it's not going to change, right?

     Yup. Its the primary argument on the side for indentation. "... and
don't call me Surely"    :-)

> {snip}
>
> Why are you people even having this discussion?

     The topic came up because the C/C++ coders were being encouraged to
try Python3 as the language of choice for a new project, and someone
said they would never consider Python for a project primary language
because of indentation block delimiting. The whole debate, as in most
flames, was stupid. The primary paradigm on this topic locally is that
indents are bad because malformed or mangled code cannot be reformatted
easily (if at all).

     From my own perspective, if you tell me I need to use END, ok.  If
I need to use {} , well ok, and if the BDFL says we use indents here,
well that's cool tool.

     Getting back to Swift, did they choose {} braces because JS uses
them, or did they choose {} braces because 'they' think most people will
want that style?

marcus