Micro Python -- a lean and efficient implementation of Python 3

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Jun 4 03:42:39 EDT 2014

On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 17:16:13 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 2:40 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>>> Not if you're working on the internet. There are several critical
>>> groups of characters that aren't in the BMP, such as:
>>
>> Of course. But what has the internet to do with micropython?

When I download a script from the Internet to run on my microcontroller,
written by somebody in Greece, and it calls print on a Greek string, I
should see Greek text even if I'm in Sweden or New Zealand or Japan.

A fully localised application would be better, of course, but failing
that I shouldn't see moji-bake.

> Earlier you said:
>
>> IOW from pov of a universallly acceptable character set this is mostly
>> rubbish
>
> "Universally acceptable character set" and microcontrollers may well not
> meet, but if you're talking about universality, you need Unicode. It's
> that simple.

> Maybe there's a use-case for a microcontroller that works in ISO-8859-5
> natively, thus using only eight bits per character,

That won't even make the Russians happy, since in Russia there are
multiple incompatible legacy encodings.

--
Steven