PyWart(2.7.8) IDLE is more buggy than "Joe's apartment"!

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 13:56:57 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 2:55 AM, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2014-07-21, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> When you send email, you have to have a valid envelope-from address,
>> which can be found in the headers. But the From: address doesn't
>> technically have to be valid.
>
> Note that a lot of mail servers and/or spam filters will think it's
> spam if it isn't.

Yes, which is why I said "technically". Most often, a difference
between envelope-from and From: header is because of a resending, like
when Mailman sends mail on behalf of someone else; the From is still a
valid address, but it's not the same one as the envelope-from (which
will be the list-bounces address).

That said, though, I've often telnetted to a mail server and done
something like this:

"""
helo
mail from:<some real address>