Improving Idle (was Re: Python 3 ...)

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 20 21:54:29 EDT 2014

On 19/07/2014 21:45, Terry Reedy wrote:

> If you are talking about user processes, and we are talking about
> patching Idle, as opposed to Python or the OS (such as Windows), I
> disagree. If you are talking about the Idle process, then yes, I would
> prefer that once Idle starts, it run forever, and recover from any
> problems caused by users. Roger Serwy fixed many Idle shutdowns before
> being swallowed by a PhD program a year ago, but there is more to do.

Which has just reminded me of this http://idlex.sourceforge.net/ which
is available from pypi, with the last update dated 2014-06-02.

I'll quote from the sourceforge page "IdleX is a collection of over
twenty extensions and plugins that provide additional functionality to
IDLE, a Python IDE provided in the standard library. It transforms IDLE
into a more useful tool for academic research and development as well as
exploratory programming.
IdleX runs with Python 2.6, 2.7, and 3.x."

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---