PyWart(2.7.8) IDLE is more buggy than "Joe's apartment"!

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 21:02:11 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Rick Johnson
<rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Filedialogs should be "truly modal", and like any modal
> dialog, should present themselves to the user utilizing
> blocking -- that is the whole point of "modal dialogs", to
> *BLOCK* further execution of the application *UNTIL* the
> user provides (generally speaking) an "answer" to a
> "question".
>
> In order to facilitate *SMOOTH* interfacing between the user
> and the modal dialog, the "contract of modal dialogs" must
> be strictly obeyed:

File dialogs can be modal or modeless. That's been true since the very
first time I met them (which, admittedly, wasn't until the early 90s;
maybe someone remembers earlier and can tell me if they were
inherently modal 25+ years ago?), and there are good reasons for both
operation styles. Even if your dialog is modal, it's extremely common
to NOT block the application, but merely prevent interaction;
otherwise, your main window won't repaint, which is generally
considered to be a flaw. Rick, have you ever done any serious GUI
programming in anything other than Tkinter? Are you seriously unaware
of standard GUI widget functionality?

ChrisA