Python 3.x adoption

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jan 17 17:10:04 EST 2014

On 1/17/2014 10:27 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2014-01-14, Staszek <noreply at eisenbits.com> wrote:
>
>> What's the problem with Python 3.x?
>
> The problem with Python 3.x is Python 2.7. ;)

Cute.

>> What's wrong?...
>
> Python 2.7 still does everything 99% of us need to do, and we're too
> lazy to switch.

While '99' is rhetorical, the statement is accurate for many. The core
devs do not expect such people* to switch until they think they would
benefit, and even then, only to the version that has enough goodies.

* except for authors of widely used libraries ;-), and even then, it
ends up being a matter of whether such authors think they will benefit
from having 3.x users.

--
Terry Jan Reedy