With this artifact, everyone can easily invent new languages

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 21:17:33 EST 2014

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 11:59 AM, Simeon Chaos <simeon.chaos at gmail.com> wrote:
> All along, the design of programming languages is a complex task. Because we need to understand the esoteric compiler theory and technology, and one of the most critical and very difficult part is to define the rules of the new language and to parse with them.To solve this problem, there have been many theories , techniques and tools . These tools can be roughly divided into two categories: one is parser generator, another is to write the parser by hand with or without a parser library.

No tool will change the fact that the *design* of a language is a
complex task. Long before you get to implementing anything, you have
to decide what your language will look like, what its special features
are, how it distinguishes one thing from another, etc etc etc. That
work won't change based on the tool you use - or rather, if it DOES
change, it's because the tool is too restrictive. First write some
code in your new language, then and only then work out how to
implement an interpreter/compiler. The first part of the job is pretty
complex (and extremely important), and tools don't come into play till
the second.

ChrisA