[OT] Migrating from non-free programs to LibreOffice

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 19:09:32 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Sad. This is yet another of those politically-charged distinctions
>> that, quite frankly, I have no interest in.
>
> I raised the point because you're giving advice to others on which
> software to use. If you have no interest in the distinctions, perhaps
> you should cultivate such an interest to know what software you're
> referring to when advising others.

The mention of OpenOffice was extremely tangential. I was simply
making a point about there being a "best option" that's hard to attain
(but probably worthwhile long-term) and a "next-best option" that's
less of a jump for the end user. If you take that original post and
switch the name OpenOffice to Libre Office, it will not make a
penn'orth of difference to the argument. If I were giving advice in
that post, the advice being given was surely "use LaTeX".

ChrisA