Python vs C++

Joseph Martinot-Lagarde joseph.martinot-lagarde at m4x.org
Sun Aug 24 08:54:08 EDT 2014

Le 23/08/2014 16:21, Chris Angelico a écrit :
> On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 12:02 AM, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know how fast lilypond is, but perhaps one could write an editor
>> that wraps lilypond and invokes it in realtime to show the output in an
>> adjacent panel, perhaps with a brief delay when the user stops typing.
>
> You theoretically could, but it'd be a bit awkward in places. It's not
> hard for a small textual change to result in a large visual change (eg
> if you use relative notes and add/remove an octave shift - it'll shift
> every subsequent note in the staff, which might mean more/less ledger
> lines needed, which will affect how much vertical space the staff
> needs, which will affect pagination...), so it'd often make for rather
> nasty flicker. Better to keep it explicit.
>
> ChrisA

Frescobaldi (http://www.frescobaldi.org/) works exactly like this. It's
like a latex IDE but for lilypond. It's quite powerfull and
multiplatform. I use it exclusively now, it's way better that the bash
script I used before that more or less rebuild the files when changed.

This way you get the power of plain text and you have an almost
instantaneous snapshot of the end result.