Keep one GUI always on TOP while python code is running

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 11:01:32 EDT 2014

On Sat, Aug 9, 2014 at 12:50 AM, alister
<alister.nospam.ware at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Aug 2014 23:58:56 +1000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>>
>>> (for instance, on all my Linux systems, I can hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 to switch
>>> away from the GUI altogether).
>>
>> Does that work when xscreensaver or equivalent has locked the system? If
>> so,
>> that's a security vulnerability.
>
> I have not tried b=ut is should not be a security risk as you still have
> to log into the virtual terminal.
>
> this may even be desirable if multiple people may administer the PC.

Right. Unix has as its underlying philosophy that users and processes
are the most important things, not interfaces. I can log in to a
computer at a virtual terminal by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1, or with a
graphical login manager like lightdm, or via ssh, or something else,
and everything works. And if I leave something running under my user
name that allows me to connect remotely, or maybe have something
running as root that can hook in to some sort of user event (off a USB
device, or a secondary mouse, or whatever) that can then display
something on the screen, then no amount of login prevention will
change that.

ChrisA