threading

Mark H Harris harrismh777 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 09:29:44 EDT 2014

On 4/9/14 12:52 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:

> People with a fear of threaded programming almost certainly never grew
> up on OS/2. :) I learned about GUI programming thus: Write your
> synchronous message handler to guarantee that it will return in an
> absolute maximum of 0.1s, preferably a lot less. If you have any sort
> of heavy processing to do, spin off a thread.

heh  very true.

Any non trivial OS/2 GUI app required threads.  We had a template at our
shop that we gave to noobs for copy-n-tweak.  It had not only the basics
for getting the canvas on the screen with a tool bar and a button, but
also the minimal code required to setup the thread to handle the button
event (it was a database lookup in our case).