Having trouble setting up an extremely simple server...

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 23:30:14 EST 2013

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Gregory Ewing
<greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Cilantro MC wrote:
>>
>> I prefer using the semicolons... They aren't making my code wrong... I use
>> other programming languages from time to time, and I'd rather just always
>> use
>> semicolons, as with the parentheses.
>

> It's your choice, but just be aware that other Python
> programmers reading your code will find it annoying,
> and it's not generally a good idea to annoy people
> that you're asking for help. :-)

Or, worse, to confuse us as to the purpose of your code. People here
are used to spotting bugs, and that bug-spotting is hugely aided by
certain conventions - many of which are laid out in PEP 8 [1], though
of course you don't need to follow all of those guidelines.

I'm a polyglot programmer, myself, so I completely understand your
desire to put semicolons around the place. Actually, my work in C/C++
and Pike, where semicolons are mandatory, isn't why I want to put them
in; no, it's because of JavaScript, where they're technically optional
but the omission can sometimes lead to misparsing of code - THAT is
where I'll be careful to put them in. Omit a semi in C? Simple
compilation error, almost certainly. Omit one in JS? Works
perfectly... or at least seems to. Omit them all in Python? Actually
genuinely works perfectly. :)

ChrisA

[1] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/