Newbie - Trying to Help a Friend

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Wed Nov 20 00:54:28 EST 2013

On 20 Nov 2013 03:52:10 GMT, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>
wrote:
> 2 does count because it isn't divisible by 3. The question states,
> "[count] how many positive integers less than N are not divisible
by 2,3
> or 5". Two is not divisible by 3, so "not divisible by 2,3 or 5" is
true,
> so two gets counted.

> The first number which is divisible by *all* of 2, 3 and 5 (i.e.
fails
> the test, and therefore doesn't get counted) is 30. The next few
that
> fail the test are 60, 90, 120, 150, 180, 210, 240, 270, 300, ...
> Remember, these are the numbers which should not be counted.

> > I count 1, not 6

> Out of curiosity, which number did you count?

1 of course. It's the only one that's not divisible by any of the
factors.

Apparently we disagree about precedence and associativity in English.
I believe the not applies to the result of (divisible by 2, 3, or 5),
so I'd count 1, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23. The first nonprime would be
49.

If I were trying to get the series you describe, I'd phrase it as
  "Not divisible by 2, and not divisible by 3, and not divisible by 5"

--
DaveA