Adding 'download' column to existing 'visitors' table (as requested)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 09:37:14 EST 2013

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 1:09 AM, Νίκος Αλεξόπουλος <nikos.gr33k at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why create a whole new 'downloads' table and associate it with the with a
> foreign key with the 'visitors' table you idiot when you can just have an
> extra column at the end of the current 'visitor's table?
>
> Both 'downloader' and 'downlaod' is associated by being in the same record.
>
> By your logic every time we want to store an extra piece of information we
> have to create an extra database table.
>
> Too much hussle for no good reason....

Go to your local library and pick up a book on database design - or
possibly you'll find it on Wikipedia. There ARE good reasons for the
"hassle" of normalization. There are times when you consciously
denormalize (I often read tables into memory for a (read-only) cache,
and denormalize aggressively), but the rule of thumb is: It's normal
to normalize.

ChrisA