Recursive function

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Tue Mar 5 11:02:03 EST 2013

On 03/05/2013 10:32 AM, Ana Dionísio wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have to make a script that calculates temperature, but one of the
> parameters is the temperature in the iteration before, for example:
> temp = (temp_-1)+1
>
> it = 0
> temp = 3
>
> it = 1
> temp = 3+1
>
> it = 2
> temp = 4+1
>
> How can I do this in a simple way?
>
> Thanks a lot!

Recursion only works when you have a termination condition.  Otherwise,
it just loops endlessly (or more specifically until the stack runs out
of room).  Still, you don't have a problem that even implies recursion,
just iteration.

For your simple case, there's a simple formula:

def  find_temp(it):
     return it+3

Methinks you have simplified the problem too far to make any sense.

import itertools
temp = 3
for it in itertools.count():
     temp += 1
     print it, temp

Warning:  that loop will never terminate.

Is this what you were looking for?  It uses recursion, and I used <=0
for the termination condition.

def find_temp2(it):
     if it <=0:  return 3
     return find_temp(it-1)