Is this PEP-able? fwhile

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Tue Jun 25 00:20:30 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 8:54 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 12:01 PM, rusi <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Why? Why on earth should break/continue be avoided?
>>
>> Because breaks and continues are just goto-in-disguise?
>>
>> [Well so is while and if and function-call and... Who is to say that?]
>
> And that's still not a reason imho. You've just pointed out that
> they're all control-flow. :)
>
> ChrisA

The reason I was given (which I promptly ignored, of course) is that
it's "best practice" to only have one exit point for a block of code.
Only one way of terminating your loop, only one "return" per function,
never use exceptions, etc. I think it originally came about as a way
to make sure that your clean-up code was called (and to make it easier
for code reviewers to make sure your clean up code was called) and
then started being passed around as a rule among programming teachers
who didn't have any experience outside the classroom.