Python Liscensing

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 06:29:19 EDT 2013

On 18 June 2013 09:56, Steven Hern <s.hern at wigan-leigh.ac.uk> wrote:

> We are an educational establishment which wishes to use Python 3.3.2 – Does
> the license cover multi-users in a classroom environment?

Yes, absolutely. Many educational institutions universities, schools,
etc. use Python in classroom environments (the fact that it is a
classroom really makes no difference).

Here is the full license:
http://docs.python.org/3.3/license.html

And here is the relevant text (from clause 2):
'''
Subject to the terms and conditions of this License Agreement, PSF
hereby grants Licensee a nonexclusive, royalty-free, world-wide
license to reproduce, analyze, test, perform and/or display publicly,
prepare derivative works, distribute, and otherwise use Python 3.3.2
alone or in any derivative version, provided, however, that PSF’s
License Agreement and PSF’s notice of copyright, i.e., “Copyright ©
2001-2013 Python Software Foundation; All Rights Reserved” are
retained in Python 3.3.2 alone or in any derivative version prepared
by Licensee.
'''

Half of that text refers to making a derivative version of Python
(which I assume you're not intending to do). Otherwise it essentially
just says that you can use it anywhere you like for anything you want
without paying any money.

Oscar