Ideal way to separate GUI and logic?

Roland Koebler r.koebler at yahoo.de
Sat Jul 13 09:56:20 EDT 2013

Hi,

> But how then do I separate out the logic and the GUI?
I usually write a library (C library, Python module, ...) which contains
the logic.

Then, I write a GUI (in a separate file), which imports and uses the library.
If I need another UI (e.g. GUI with an other toolkit, or a text-based or
HTML5-based interface), I simply write another UI (in a separate file), and
import+use the library again.

That's the cleanest way to separate user-interface and logic in my
opinion. (But keep in mind that it's not always obvious which parts
belong to the library and which belong to the GUI, and you sometimes
have to carefully think about it.)

Oh, and yes, you can do nice things then, e.g. remote-GUIs by transparently
tunneling all calls from the GUI to the library through RPC over a network
(like I have done with a GTK+-GUI for Raspberry Pi; the GUI runs on the PC,
uses JSON-RPC over TCP-sockets and calls functions on the RPi).

regards,
Roland