Opinion on best practice...

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Wed Feb 6 10:11:32 EST 2013

On 2013-02-06, Neil Cerutti <neilc at norwich.edu> wrote:
> On 2013-02-05, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> Python is an excellent option for writing shell scripts,
>>> particularly if your shell is cmd.exe.
>>
>> The OP stated explicitly that the target OS was Linux:

>> Don't get me wrong -- I think Python is great -- but when the
>> target OS is Linux, and what you want to do are file find,
>> move, copy, rename, delete operations, then I still say bash
>> should be what you try first.
>
> I had Cygwin on my office computer for many years, and wrote
> shell scripts to do things like reconcile fund lists from
> separate source files, and generate reports of the differences.

Back when the earth was young, I used some pretty extensive Bourne
shell scripts to perform design checks on multi-volume software
requirements specifications that were written in LaTeX -- and that was
on VAX/VMS with DECShell (sort of the VMS equivalent of Cygwin).  It
worked fine but it was excruciatingly slow because of the high fork()
overhead in VMS.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! If Robert Di Niro
                                  at               assassinates Walter Slezak,