Experiences/guidance on teaching Python as a first programming language

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Wed Dec 18 20:49:10 EST 2013

In article <mailman.4372.1387390692.18130.python-list at python.org>,
 Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I've never contemplated writing a compiler, let alone actually written
> one.  It's like the comments along the lines of "you can't call yourself
> a programmer until you've mastered regular expressions".

Who makes comments like that?  As far as I can tell, I'm the resident
regexphile on this newsgroup, and I certainly don't say that.

I find it frustrating that Pythonistas shy away from regex as much as
they do.  Yes, Python strings have a rich set of built-in operations
which provide easy ways to do a lot of things traditionally done with
regexes in other languages.

Regex is a powerful tool, and programmers will improve their skill set
by knowing how to use them.  But that's not the same as saying you can't
be a programmer if you don't know regex.