Ubuntu package "python3" does not include tkinter

lcrocker lee at piclab.com
Fri Apr 19 13:17:58 EDT 2013

Am I mistaken in my belief that tkinter is a non-optional part of the
Python language? I installed the "python3" package on Ubuntu, and
tkinter is not included--it's an optional package "python3-tk" that
has to be installed separately. I reported this as a bug as was
summarily slapped down.

Can we apply some pressure to Ubuntu to fix this? Python is a
trademark, is it not? Can Ubuntu legally claim that their "Python"
package is an implementation of the language if it does not include
the whole language?