Quickie - Regexp for a string not at the beginning of the line

Ed Morton mortonspam at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 08:32:10 EDT 2012

On 10/25/2012 11:45 PM, Rivka Miller wrote:
> Thanks everyone, esp this gentleman.
>
> The solution that worked best for me is just to use a DOT before the
> string as the one at the beginning of the line did not have any char
> before it.

That's fine but do you understand that that is not an RE that matches on
"$hello$ not at the start of a line", it's an RE that matches on "<any
char>$hello$ anywhere in the line"? There's a difference - if you use a tool
that prints the text that matches an RE then the output if the first RE existed
would be "$hello$" while the output for the second RE would be "X$hello$" or
"Y$hello$" or....

In some tools you can use /(.)$hello$/ or similar to ignore the first part of
the RE "(.)" and just print the second "$hello", but that ability and it's
syntax is tool-specific, you still can't say "here's an RE that does this",
you've got to say "here's how to find this text using tool <whatever>".

    Ed.