A desperate lunge for on-topic-ness

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Oct 21 07:08:43 EDT 2012

On Sunday 21 October 2012 07:02:26 Steven D'Aprano did opine:

> On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 14:18:47 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> > On 2012-10-20, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >> 	Strangely, we've gone from 80-character fixed width displays to
> >>
> >> who-knows-what (if I drop my font size I can probably get nearly 200
> >> characters across in full-screen mode)...
> >>
> >> 	But at the same time we've gone from 132-character line-printers
> >>
> >> using fan-fold 11x17 pages, to office inkjet/laser printers using
> >> 8.5x11 paper, defaulting to portrait orientation -- with a 10
> >> character/inch font, and 1/4" left/right margins, we're back to 80
> >> character limitation
> >>
> >><G>
> >>
> > True, but nobody prints source code out on paper do they?
>
> I do.
>
> There's nothing better than spreading out a dozen sheets of source code
> over a table to get a good, high-level overview of what does what in
> preparation to refactoring it.
>
> > Seriously -- I can't remember the last time I printed souce code...
>
> I've never printed souce code either *wink*

So do I, but I often am looking at assembler listings with the assembler
set for 132 chars a line to preserve the src codes comments, so lp gets a
use 17 cpi option on the cli that makes the listing.  I probably recycle 2
reams of paper a year doing exactly that.  Those who won't take advantage
of that are doomed to publish buggy code.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Not all men who drink are poets.  Some of us drink because we aren't poets.