"convert" string to bytes without changing data (encoding)

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Mar 29 02:51:51 EDT 2012

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 23:58:53 -0400, Ross Ridge wrote:

> How does that in anyway justify Evan Driscoll maliciously lying about
> code he's never seen?

You are perfectly justified to complain about Evan making sweeping
generalisations about your code when he has not seen it; you are NOT
justified in making your own sweeping generalisations that he is not just
lying but *maliciously* lying. He might be just confused by the strength
of his emotions and so making an honest mistake. Or he might have guessed
perfectly accurately about your code, and you are the one being
dishonest. Who knows?

Evan's impassioned rant is based on his estimate of your mindset, namely
that you are the sort of developer who writes code making assumptions
about implementation details even when explicitly told not to by the
library authors. I have no idea whether Evan's estimate is right or not,
but I don't think it is justified based on the little amount we've seen
of you.

Your reaction is to make an equally unjustified estimate of Evan's
mindset, namely that he is not just wrong about you, but *deliberately
and maliciously* lying about you in the full knowledge that he is wrong.
If anything, I would say that you have less justification for calling
Evan a malicious liar than he has for calling you the sort of person who
would write to an implementation instead of an interface.

--
Steven