simplified Python parsing question

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Jul 30 21:54:51 EDT 2012

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 11:40:50 -0400, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

> If you have been reading the papers, you would understand what I'm
> doing.

That is the second time, at least, that you have made a comment like that.

Understand that most people are not going to follow links to find out
whether or not they are interested in what you have to say. If you can't
give a brief explanation of what you are doing in your email or news
post, many people aren't going to read on. Perhaps they intend to but are
too busy, or they have email access but web access is restricted, or
they've already got 200 tabs open in their browser and don't want any
more (I'm not exaggerating, I know people like that).

People use email because it is a "push" technology -- you don't have to
go out and look for information, it gets pushed into your inbox. Clicking
on links is a "pull" technology -- you have to make the explicit decision
to click the link, open a browser, go out to the Internet and read who
knows what. That requires a different frame of mind. Expect to lose some
of your audience every time you require them to follow a link.

And *especially* so if that it a link to Google Docs, instead of an
normal web page. Google Docs is, in my opinion, a nasty piece of rubbish
that doesn't run on any of my browsers. As far as I'm concerned, I'd
rather download a Word doc, because at least I can open that in
OpenOffice or Abiword and read it. Something in Google Docs might as well
be locked in a safe as far as I'm concerned.

--
Steven