The devolution of English language and slothful c.l.p behaviors exposed!

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 19:43:12 EST 2012

On Jan 23, 11:57 pm, Rick Johnson <rantingrickjohn... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Here is a grep from the month of September 2011 showing the rampantly
> egregious misuse of the following words and phrases:

Actually my custom script had a small flaw which kept it from
capturing ALL the atrocities. Here is a run with the bugfixes:

  pretty: 54
  hard: 47
  right: 117
  used to: 37
  supposed to: 18

I'm thinking of posting monthly digests for all to see so that
HOPEFULLY you folks may give some thought to your words before pecking
them out. I must admit, I wept internally after seeing this latest
digest.

Found 54 unique occurances of "pretty" in a sentence:

> [...]
| there are fancier ways to do this in matplotlib, but this
| is "PRETTY" quick and dirty--i'm just plotting lines over-
| top other lines.
|
| Com/recipes/577334-how-to-debug-deadlocked-multi-threaded-
| programs/ there is some bugs in the code given but its
| "PRETTY" straight forward to fix it.
|
| Sorry for that it's "PRETTY" unimportant question
| according to the other questions being asked here :d def
| trial(): class foo(object): def __init__(self):
| print("hello, world!
|
| __getitem__, bytes)) 4800000 "PRETTY" fast as well.
|
| Comwrote: i don't much care for php, but the thing that
| can be said for it is it's "PRETTY" quick.
|
| I would expect that static variables would work "PRETTY"
| much the same way as default arguments, with a list of
| names on the code object and a list of values on the
| function object.
|
| ), so maybe the proposal has a little weight there, but
| since you can just avoid that by using parens, that's
| "PRETTY" much nullified.
|
| Comwrote: not saying one is necessarily better than the
| other, but just subscribing to the feed for the [python]
| tag on so has a "PRETTY" good snr.
|
| __subclasses__()) return subcls(*args, **kwds) to me, this
| reads "PRETTY" cleanly and makes it obvious that something
| unusual is going on: obj = mybaseclass.
|
| Comabout the only keyword i can think of this being even
| slightly useful for would be class and even then i think
| that clazz is a "PRETTY" acceptable substitute.
|
| 0 might be a "PRETTY" be rewrite.
|
| Com/ignore-files/ ] * otherwise, the code looks "PRETTY"
| good for a beginner.
|
| Com i'm "PRETTY" sure thats the problem, this is a generic
| catch all function for running subprocesses.
|
| Seeing the quotes again, i'm "PRETTY" sure i was intending
| to be flippant _in reference to rantrantrantrick's
| comment_.
|
| Stop() gives a "PRETTY" damn good explanation as to why
| thread.
|
| Not that cancellation is really worth bothering with
| anyway, but it's a "PRETTY" nasty corner case.
|
| Id) [/script] it's a "PRETTY" common gotcha for people
| coming from other languages.
|
| Ar this is a "PRETTY" optimistic algorithm, at least by
| the statistics from 2008 (see below).
|
| I don't see any way to reduce these nested loops
| logically, they describe "PRETTY" well what the software
| has to do.
|
| Comwrote: i would expect that static variables would work
| "PRETTY" much the same way as default arguments could you
| just abuse default arguments to accomplish this?
|
| "PRETTY" much every program i write seems to have a
| continued list of data or a multi-line dictionary display
| as data.
|
| Bottle is "PRETTY" minimal (iirc it doesn't even come with
| any templating).
|
| "PRETTY" immaterial, but the formal style prefers
| correctness.
|
| "PRETTY" much all of the magic happens behind cryptic sas

Found 47 unique occurances of "hard" in a sentence:

> [...]
|
| But that makes it "HARD" for those of us who want to use a
| built-in option-parsing library across a wide variety of
| python versions.
|
| Comwrote: my investigations have generally found that
| windows/forms/data entry screen can be created for a
| specific table or view, but these are "HARD"-wired during
| development.
|
| Cnwrote: when it comes to the air force 1 {1}{/1}a lot of
| you might imagine that it would be quite "HARD" to
| continue improving and innovating on the design of it, but
| leave it to nike to surprise you at just about every turn.
|
| Orgjon redgrave wrote: it seems unreasonably "HARD" to
| write simple one-line unix command line filters in python:
| eg: ls | python -c "<somethingprint x.
|
| Another hack would be to add a "HARD" link to the top
| level: as you said: "HARD" links would be a little
| annoying on some file systems.
|
| :) in this case it doesn't matter, but it's not "HARD" to
| find problems where the difference between the memory
| requirements for a generator and a map/list-comprehension
| are significant enough to worry about.
|
| Given how "HARD" it is to find an appropriate sitemap
| generator written in python, i'd say there is a strong
| likelihood that one that meets your needs and is publicly
| available under an appropriate licence is vanishingly
| small.
|
| Comit seems unreasonably "HARD" to write simple one-line
| unix command line filters in python: eg: ls | python -c
| "<somethingprint x.
|
| Access to a database still needs to be "HARD"-wired, so it
| does not act as a 'dynamic' viewer.
|
| (it is a little "HARD" to google for this given the map()
| function).
|
| Comwrites: it seems unreasonably "HARD" to write simple
| one-line unix command line filters in python: eg: ls |
| python -c "<somethingprint x.
|
| Another hack would be to add a "HARD" link to the top
| level: modules/ +-- spam.
|
| This will make it "HARD" for labview to send it messages,
| since it won't know what port to use.
|
| Com/cs/ it's "HARD" to believe that something as rational
| as the metric system was invented by the french.
|
| It's not that "HARD" to hold a socket connection open!
|
| The "HARD" ones to ignore are the ones that look like they
| might be legitimate, but fortunately most spammers are too
| lazy or stupid to bother with even the most feeble
| disguise.
|
| Comwrote: rick & xang li are two examples of what you
| *don't* see (or at least i don't) @ so then you haven't
| been looking "HARD" enough ;-) -- rhodri james *-*
| wildebeest herder to the masses from steve+comp.
|
| In other words, linux will try really, really, really
| "HARD" to give you the 84 gigabytes you've asked for on a
| 2 gb system, even if it means dosing your system for a
| month.
|
| If the indentation is defined as a single symbol, then it
| would only require a one-step look-ahead, and that should

Found 117 unique occurances of "right" in a sentence:

> [...]
| package just for this tiny sub module, but somehow it
| doesn't feel "RIGHT" to me.
|
| "you are "RIGHT"," said nasrudin after carefully hearing
| one side.
|
| Waiting = true so my real question is: am i on the "RIGHT"
| track here, and am i correct in my guess that the kernel
| is reporting different status codes to subprocess.
|
| If | i neither disable buffering nor manually flush after
| each print, the | program just hangs instead of printing
| "RIGHT" away.
|
| You are absolutely "RIGHT".
|
| Infowrote: after playing around with various combinations
| of c1, c2, d1 and d2, it seems to me that the rule is: if
| the "RIGHT"-hand argument is a subclass of the left-hand
| argument, and also defines __radd__ directly rather than
| inheriting it, then its __radd__ method is called before
| the left-hand argument's __add__ method.
|
| Yellow)        # the "RIGHT" window line((x + 60, y + 71),
| (x + 80, y + 71), color=color.
|
| Prec = max_digits+decimal_places but i'm not certain that
| is "RIGHT".
|
| Comwrote: "you are "RIGHT"," said nasrudin after carefully
| hearing one side.
|
| Communicate() log(out) i haven't tested that, but i think
| (from reading the docs) that's the "RIGHT" idea.
|
| If you have an application where the quality of randomness
| is unimportant and generating random ints is a genuine
| performance bottleneck, then go "RIGHT" ahead.
|
| Moving pots out into a separate package doesn't really
| feel "RIGHT".
|
| Ussteven d'aprano wrote: after playing around with various
| combinations of c1, c2, d1 and d2, it seems to me that the
| rule is: if the "RIGHT"-hand argument is a subclass of the
| left-hand argument, and also defines __radd__ directly
| rather than inheriting it, then its __radd__ method is
| called before the left-hand argument's __add__ method.
|
| Personally, i consider two nested loops "RIGHT" on the
| boundary of my "magic number seven, plus or minus two"
| short term memory[1].
|
| Only true if the left-hand operand is so ill-behaved it
| doesn't check to see if it makes sense to add itself to
| the "RIGHT"-hand operand.
|
| There is no issue when i load it "RIGHT" from the folder
| where the python executable and libpython2.
|
| Getting the code "RIGHT" is going to be a lot more
| complicated than just adding a couple of try/excepts.
|
| Is the "RIGHT" interpretation of this timing difference
| that the comprehension is performed in the lower level c
| code?
|
| Org you're mostly "RIGHT".
|
| But, you're "RIGHT" that on most modern, non-embedded,
| linux systems threads don't show up in top or ps.
|
| Of course they are, and they are "RIGHT" to do so.
|
| (oh, "RIGHT", i believe i just described java.
|
| Ipa" "RIGHT", because period is a regex metacharacter.
|
| Orange)        # horizontal line ("RIGHT" window) line((x
| + 69, y + 60), (x + 69, y + 80), color=color.

Found 37 unique occurances of "used to" in a sentence:

> [...]
| wrapper around file objects simulates a correct behaviour
| for relative seeks : ==================== txt = "abcdef"
| txt += "?
|
| I "USED TO" ask the same question, but then i decided that
| if i wanted each data point to get its own tick, i should
| bite the bullet and write an individual test for each.
|
| ] calling the bible a joke is "USED TO" hurt people, not
| enlighten them.
|
| Comwrites: calling the bible a joke is "USED TO" hurt
| people, not enlighten them.
|
| Perhaps a little more depressingly, this also maybe be
| "USED TO" highlight potential cases of poor productivity
| to be investigated.
|
| It "USED TO" have.
|
| Def b(label="", *args): """"USED TO" create breaks for
| debugging.
|
| Comi "USED TO" ask the same question, but then i decided
| that if i wanted each data point to get its own tick, i
| should bite the bullet and write an individual test for
| each.
|
| """"USED TO" create breaks for debugging.
|
| It takes a while to understand this aspect because the
| natural human response is to be lazy (for instance i could
| have used ""USED TO"" in the previous sentence if i was
| slothful).
|
| Py checkout usage:  checkout url checkout: error: too few
| arguments plac can also be "USED TO" write command
| interpreters.
|
| Html i'm not "USED TO" big ide/rad for python.
|
| __init__() "USED TO" accept and silently ignore any
| parameters.
|
| Infowrites: i "USED TO" ask the same question, but then i
| decided that if i wanted each data point to get its own
| tick, i should bite the bullet and write an individual
| test for each.
|
| Or at least it "USED TO" work.
|
| For the sake of completeness here's the script i "USED TO"
| produce the example above: $ cat pyfilter.
|
| That name is "USED TO" read a file with meta-data.
|
| I want a program that can be "USED TO" open any database
| and 'data mine' and extract table content.
|
| Also, it can be "USED TO" demonstrate a working program.
|
| Activepython also includes a binary package manager for
| python (pypm) that can be "USED TO" install packages much
| easily.
|
| Calling the bible a joke is "USED TO" hurt people, not
| enlighten them.
|
| If your colleague is "USED TO" program inside word macros,
| i guess the answer ;) if he is "USED TO" program in c, i'm
| less sure.
|
| Since this sounds like homework, i won't post the one-
| liner i "USED TO" do it the brute-force way, but i will
| note that it takes about 200 microseconds to run on my
| laptop.
|
| I've noticed that people tend to be a lot harsher here
| than what i'm "USED TO", so perhaps your attitude to it is
| more common on mailing-lists and i should just adapt.
|
| Perhaps there's some per-process thing that can be "USED

Found 18 unique occurances of "supposed to" in a sentence: