What are the minimum requirements to get a job in?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri Dec 14 19:45:40 EST 2012

In article <50cbaf19$0$29991$c3e8da3$5496439d at news.astraweb.com>,
 Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 09:48:54 -0500, Roy Smith wrote:
>
> > On the other hand, as somebody who's looking to hire software engineers,
> > I can tell you that we look at prior experience at Google or Facebook as
> > a positive thing on a resume.
>
> Really? What size company do you work for?

I believe we're currently 12 full-time employees.

> Can you offer better pay and conditions than Google or Facebook?

There is no way we can compete with them on salary.  Nor do we buy
everybody lunch every day, do their laundry, give them haircuts and
massages, or walk their dogs.

But, we offer the chance to make a difference.  Most people at Google or
Facebook are cogs in a very large machine.  It might be a well-fed,
brightly colored, highly profitable machine, but a cog is a cog.

> If somebody can to me with prior experience at Google or Facebook, my
> first thought would be "Ah, couldn't cut it with the big boys huh? If you
> are good enough for Google, what the hell are you doing coming to us?"

Wow, you must have a really low opinion of yourself.  Part of being at a
startup is believing in yourself.  Going around thinking, "he/she's too
good for us" is not an effective way to screen potential candidates if
you're trying to build a successful business.