How do I display unicode value stored in a string variable using ord()

wxjmfauth at gmail.com wxjmfauth at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 11:07:05 EDT 2012

Le samedi 18 août 2012 14:27:23 UTC+2, Steven D'Aprano a écrit :
> [...]
> The problem with UCS-4 is that every character requires four bytes.
> [...]

I'm aware of this (and all the blah blah blah you are
explaining). This always the same song. Memory.

Let me ask. Is Python an 'american" product for us-users
or is it a tool for everybody [*]?
Is there any reason why non ascii users are somehow penalized
compared to ascii users?

This flexible string representation is a regression (ascii users
or not).

I recognize in practice the real impact is for many users
closed to zero (including me) but I have shown (I think) that
this flexible representation is, by design, not as optimal
as it is supposed to be. This is in my mind the relevant point.

[*] This not even true, if we consider the €uro currency
symbol used all around the world (banking, accounting
applications).

jmf