Procedure to request adding a module to the standard library - or initiating a vote on it

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Tue Aug 7 11:07:02 EDT 2012

Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 13:15:29 +0200, Peter Otten wrote:
>
>> I don't think that will help. From PEP 408:
>>
>> """
>> As part of the same announcement, Guido explicitly accepted Matthew
>> Barnett's 'regex' module [4] as a provisional addition to the standard
>> library for Python 3.3 (using the 'regex' name, rather than as a drop-in
>> replacement for the existing 're' module).
>> """
>
> What is  a "provisional addition"?

My understanding is that Guido agreed for it to be added under a different
name (i. e. as regex, not re) and with no guarantees that it will remain in
Python versions above 3.3.

> Python-3.3 (20120708) doesn't have such a module.

Indeed. Guido allowed adding the module, but some core devs remained
skeptical and no one put in the legwork to add it. It may still be added in
3.4 if a core developer is willing to familiarise with the codebase and
promises to help with maintenance, but the chances seem low by now.