On-topic: alternate Python implementations

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Aug 4 03:49:53 EDT 2012

On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 08:40:16 +0200, Stefan Behnel wrote:

> And not to forget Cython, which is the only static Python compiler that
> is widely used. Compiles and optimises Python to C code that uses the
> CPython runtime and allows for easy manual optimisations to get C-like
> performance out of it.
>
> http://cython.org/

Cython is great, but I question that it is a *Python* implementation.
That's not a criticism of Cython, but it is different from Python. Take
this example code from the tutorial:

from libc.math cimport sin

cdef double f(double x):
    return sin(x*x)

If that's Python code, then I'm Ethel the Aardvark.

Cython is very Python-like, but there is no doubt in my mind that it is a
superset of Python and therefore a different language.

--
Steven