Python without a tty

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Sep 29 22:10:16 EDT 2011

ron <vacorama at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sep 29, 5:21 am, Steven D'Aprano <steve
> +comp.lang.pyt... at pearwood.info> wrote:
> > I have a Python script which I would like to test without a tty attached
> > to the process. I could run it as a cron job, but is there an easier way?
>
> Have you tried GNU Screen?  It let's you run processes under virtual
> terminals, which can then be backgrounded, reconnected to, etc.  I
> think it comes with most linux distros.

That would not satisfy the “without a TTY attached” requirement. GNU
Screen's main goal is to *provide* an attached TTY to multiple processes
when the TTY isn't interacting with the user.

I don't know whether Screen can *remove* a TTY from a process, and it
would be strange to me if it did so.

--
 \         “I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, |
  `\      when you looked at it in the right way, did not become still |