Chaco for real-time plot of PySerial data

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 05:56:40 EDT 2011

On 11/1/11 10:27 PM, Jack Keegan wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I asked this question on the enthought chaco mailing list some time last by have
> yet to receive a reply. Thought I'd ask here to see if anyone could shed some
> light on things for me. I have been considering using chaco / traits for close
> to a year now and am finally biting the bullet so to speak. What I would really
> like to do to begin with is to make a real-time plotting application which gets
> its data from the serial port. Can anyone please point me in the right direction
> for doing this?
>
> Since I didn't get a reply on the chaco list I'm now thinking it might be a
> dangerous route to go down since it will be difficult to get help. Any
> recommendations?

I'm sorry we didn't respond to you. The chaco-users mailing list is not
well-subscribed or well-trafficked, but the enthought-dev at enthought.com mailing
list is. We haven't done a good job of letting new people know they should be on
the chaco-users list to answer questions or updating the documentation to point
users to enthought-dev instead.

Anyways, to answer your question, we have several examples of how one sets up a
plot then updates it with new data:

https://github.com/enthought/chaco/tree/master/examples/demo/updating_plot

I can't help much with the PySerial part, I'm afraid. Integrating that with the
GUI event loop is probably going to be the trickiest bit.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco