NewBie Doubt in Python Thread Programming

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu May 12 06:46:15 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 7:42 PM, vijay swaminathan <swavijay at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> I tried using os.system as well but it did not even open up the command
> prompt.
>
> Can you please share the code that worked for you.. just wondering if I'm
> missing something very basic.

Caveat: I'm not using Qt, I just tried this in IDLE (which is graphical).

C:\>copy con test.bat
echo Hello, world!
pause
^Z
        1 file(s) copied.

IDLE 2.6.5
>>> import os
>>> os.system("c:\\test.bat")
0

The 0 and subsequent prompt don't appear until the batch file
finishes. Meanwhile, the batch file is executing in a separate window.

When you try it inside Qt, do you get a background window that needs
to be brought to the front? Does execution pause while the batch file
runs?

Chris Angelico