Updated blog post on how to use super()

Brian J Mingus brian.mingus at Colorado.EDU
Wed Jun 1 12:55:36 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 8:44 PM, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:

> I've tightened the wording a bit, made much better use of keyword
> arguments instead of kwds.pop(arg), and added a section on defensive
> programming (protecting a subclass from inadvertently missing an MRO
> requirement).  Also, there is an entry on how to use assertions to
> validate search order requirements and make them explicit.
>
>  http://bit.ly/py_super
>     or
>  http://rhettinger.wordpress.com/2011/05/26/super-considered-super/
>
> Any further suggestions are welcome.  I'm expecting this to evolve
> into how-to guide to be included in the regular Python standard
> documentation.  The goal is to serve as a reliable guide to using
> super and how to design cooperative classes in a way that lets
> subclasses compose and extent them.
>

> Raymond Hettinger
>
> --------
> follow my python tips on twitter: @raymondh
> --

I would recommend a more constructive introduction that has less
meta-analysis of what the post is about and just digs in.

*If you aren’t wowed by Python’s super() builtin, chances are you don’t
really know what it is capable of doing or how to use it effectively.*

This strikes me as a thinly veiled dis..

*Much has been written about super() and much of that writing has been a
failure.
*

I'm having a hard time seeing how this supremely condescending bit is
helpful? If *your* writing is not a failure time will tell.
*

 This article seeks to improve on the situation by:

   - providing practical use cases
   - giving a clear mental model of how it works
   - showing the tradecraft for getting it to work every time
   - concrete advice for building classes that use super()
   - solutions to common issues
   - favoring real examples over abstract ABCD diamond
diagrams<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_problem>
   .

*

These strikes me as notes by the author for the author. You could easily
extract the gist of the above points and convert them into a sentence or
two.

Overall, take everything up to the end of the last bullet point and convert
it into a 2-3 sentence intro paragraph.

--
Brian Mingus
Graduate student