Newbie help - Programming the Semantic Web with Python

Bruce Whealton bruce at whealton.info
Sun Jul 10 15:28:40 EDT 2011

Thanks for the tips.  I actually had done some studies with Python, mainly
Python 3, back about 6 months ago and over a period of a few months.
I didn't write a great deal of programs though, at the time.  I got away
from it in a while and I didn't want to go back to step one of being like a
total beginner.  There are so many things I try to keep up with as a Web
Developer and coder and trying to expand my skills.  Unfortunately, I don't
do well with picking  a focus.  I remember reading through this long
reference manual, called "Learning Python," while I was on a flight and over
a trip.  That was without a computer, so I was just reading, which is not
the way to learn programming, obviously.  I feel the many concepts will come
back to me fast.  I have another text, called "Beginning Python: From Novice
to Professional" which covers Python 3.  This is a bit more practical in
orientation.  I'm debating whether to jump to the chapters dealing with the
web and see what I can do or starting from the beginning.  I did look into
some online training, tutorials, or the like.

The Programming the Semantic Web book uses Python but all the code is
included.  So, while it won't be a way to learn python, I hope I can get the
code to run correctly.  In that text, they must be using Python 2.7 because
I see print statements and not the print function call.
If you know of any good resources for finding python applications on the
web, this might be a good way to learn.  I don't know if  I should look for
Python applications, or if I'll have more luck looking for Python Libraries.
Thanks,
Bruce