Implicit initialization is EXCELLENT

Mel mwilson at the-wire.com
Tue Jul 5 15:27:39 EDT 2011

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
[ ... ]
> Python generally follows this design. Apart from files, I can't easily
> think off the top of my head of any types that require a separate
> open/start/activate call before they are usable. It's also relevant to
> tkinter, which will implicitly create a root window for you when needed.
> Since you can't do anything without a root window, I don't see the benefit
> in forcing the user to do so. When they need to learn about root windows,
> they will in their own good time.

In wx, many of the window classes have Create methods, for filling in
various attributes in "two-step construction".  I'm not sure why, because it
works so well to just supply all the details when the class is called and an
instance is constructed.  Maybe there's some C++ strategy that's being
supported there.

	Mel.