Python-list Digest, Vol 99, Issue 28

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Tue Dec 6 13:29:30 EST 2011

12/06/11 11:34, Sergi Pasoev wrote:
(after trimming all the digest rubbish the way you should have
done in the first place)
>> Coincidentally, I was working on that exact function last
>> night, so you inspired me to put it up on the Python
>> cookbook. This version should work on any POSIX system such
>> as Linux, as well as Windows. I don't know if it will work
>> on Macintosh.
>>
>> http://code.activestate.com/recipes/577977-get-single-keypress/
>
> Thanks Steven. Maybe you mean Gnu/Linux when you say Linux.

Sheesh. The guy hands you free code to do what you ask, and 99%
of your reply is uselessly-quoted digest, 0.8% is complaining
about his terminology, and 0.1% is saying thanks.

1) it's the POSIX API in question here, nothing particularly GNU
about the Linux implementation of it.

2) if you want to be pedantic about it, you should really be
calling such systems something like
Xorg/[Gnome|KDE|Fluxbox|LXDE|OpenBox|BlackBox|FVWM|XFCE]/Linux/GNU/Mozilla/TeX/MySQL/Postgresql/sqlite/git/CVS/Subversion/Bazaar/Mercurial/Python/Perl/PHP/Apache.
  And why don't you call it that?  Because it's a pain, and if
you say "Linux" everybody knows that you're talking about an
operating system that uses Linux and has other contributions in it.

So I'm pretty sure that Steven did *not* mean to type "GNU/Linux"
or he would have typed it that way. :)

-tkc