Py_INCREF() incomprehension

Thomas Rachel nutznetz-0c1b6768-bfa9-48d5-a470-7603bd3aa915 at spamschutz.glglgl.de
Tue Apr 26 12:08:58 EDT 2011

Am 26.04.2011 16:03, schrieb Hegedüs Ervin:

> I've read API doc (which you've included in another mail), but
> that's not clear for me. :(

No probem, I'll go in detail, now as I have read it again. (I didn't
want to help from memory, as it is some time ago I worked with it, and
didn't have time to read it.)

>> The most critical parts are indeed
>>
>> * the input parameters

The ownership rules say that the input parameter belongs to the caller
who holds it at least until we return. (We just "borrow" it.) So no
action needed.

>> * Py_BuildValue()

This function "transfers ownership", as it is none of
(PyTuple_GetItem(), PyList_GetItem(), PyDict_GetItem(),
PyDict_GetItemString()).

So the value it returns belongs to us, for now.

We do transfer ownership to our caller (implicitly), so no action is
required as well here.

> so, it means when I implicit allocate a new object (whit
> Py_BuildValue()), Python's GC will free that pointer when it
> doesn't require anymore?

In a way, yes. But you have to obey ownership: whom belongs the current
reference? If it is not ours, and we need it, we do Py_(X)INCREF(). If
we got it, but don't need it, we do Py_(X)DECREF().

>> BTW: Is there any reason for using calloc()? malloc() would probably
>> be faster...
>
> may be, I didn't measure it ever... but calloc() gives clear
> space... :)

Ok. (But as sizeof(char) is, by C standard definition, always 1, you can
write it shorter.)

Thomas