Python benefits over Cobra

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Apr 6 08:29:25 EDT 2011

On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 18:26:25 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:

> Right now, I have around me two laptops running Windows XP, two running
> Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit, and two running Ubuntu 32-bit. (Surprisingly
> balanced.) With a very few exceptions, code that I write in IDLE on one
> box will run perfectly on any of the others. That won't happen in a
> language that requires a Microsoft framework, because it's simply not in
> their interests to ship for Linux (let alone OS/2, which I have at
> home). I do like me some true portability.

Mono is free, open source software that is compatible with .NET and is
available on Linux, Mac OS, Solaris, Unix and even that little-known
operating system "Windows". *wink*

http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

And some FUD-busting:

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/03/13/squashing-a-few-myths-about-mono-development/