Picking a license

Ed Keith e_d_k at yahoo.com
Fri May 14 16:05:59 EDT 2010

--- On Fri, 5/14/10, Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:

<<<<snip>>>

> No, PySide is about permitting the development of
> proprietary
> applications by providing a solution to the all-important
> "ISVs" which
> lets them develop and deploy proprietary software. Do you
> really think
> a platform vendor whose "ISVs" routinely ship proprietary
> software on
> their platform and on other platforms, and who will demand
> the ability
> to continue to do so, now expects all these "ISVs" to
> provide their
> applications under the modified BSD licence? Sure, other
> developers
> can use the software - even people releasing GPL-licensed
> software -
> but that is highly unlikely to be the primary business
> motivation. If
> you think the mobile telephony vendors are a bunch of
> fluffy bunny
> rabbits playing with each other in sugary meadows of
> niceness, I don't
> want to be present when someone directly and finally
> disabuses you of
> this belief. It's all about people selling stuff to
> "consumers" over
> and over again, preferably with the "consumers" rarely if
> ever being
> able to opt-out and do things their own way.

Do you feel the same way about Python? It is released under a
nonrestrictive license, since you are on this list I assume you use it.

If you want, I think you could use the existing Python code base to create
a GPLed version of Python, I think the license is permissive enough to
allow that. If you did, do you think more people would use the GPLed
version?

Personally, I would use the version with the more permissive license, unless the GPLed version offered a significant advantage of some kind.

     -EdK

Ed Keith
e_d_k at yahoo.com

Blog: edkeith.blogspot.com