getting up arrow in terminal to scroll thought history of python commands

Thomas Jollans thomas at jollans.com
Mon Jun 14 11:20:19 EDT 2010

>>> Anyway, make sure readline is installed, and then recompile Python.
>>
>> So I should run
>> ./configure
>> make install
>> again?
>> Will this overwrite other py packages I have installed?
>>
>> Vincent
>>

> That should be
> ./configure
> make
> make install
>
> You missed a rather important step.

Makefiles being dependency based means that, strictly speaking, "make"
isn't necessary, as it's (almost always) implied by "make install"

However, you should usually work like this:

$ ./configure
$ make
$ sudo make install

run configure and make as user, and ONLY make install as root, as only
installing, not configuring and building, require administrative
privileges. I'm not sure OSX handles these things, but I doubt they'd
have removed the UNIX multi-user-ness.