file handling

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Mon Jun 14 03:16:59 EDT 2010

Please don't top post; post below and trim the content.
Also, please do a reply-to-all to keep the discussion on the list.

Further content is below...

On 14Jun2010 11:44, madhuri vio <madhuri.vio at gmail.com> wrote:
| On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:
| > ODT files are _not_ text files. If I recall they are ZIP files containing
| > XML, but I've never checked. There is more info here:
| >  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument
|
| i have renamed the odt file to human and read it in the
| "rb" mode....still i get the same reply....
|
| a = open("human","rb")
| print a.readlines()

Renaming a file in no way changes its content. So of course you get the
same result.

You also write:
| when i did it thru a text editor...i am able to read it and

It might help if you said _what_ text editor you used. Some GUI text
editors like TextEdit on a Mac can understand word processor files.
"Plain" text editors will show you binary stuff like your python program
did.

| unable to do the same thru a word document...

I have no idea what this sentence means, however.
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/