About problems that I have with learning wxPython in Macintosh

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Thu Jul 15 19:28:31 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 3:04 PM, ata.jaf <a.j.romanista at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm newbie to wxPython and need it to develop my little app.
> But from start I have problems with tutorials. Because all of them are
> compatible with Windows but not so much with Mac.
> For example in this code:
>

> import wx
>
> class MainWindow(wx.Frame) :
>  def __init__(self, parent, title) :
>   wx.Frame.__init__(self, parent, title=title, size=(200, 100))
>   self.control = wx.TextCtrl(self, style=wx.TE_MULTILINE)
>   self.CreateStatusBar()
>
>   filemenu = wx.Menu()
>
>   filemenu.Append(wx.ID_ABOUT, '&About', ' Information about this
> program.')
>   filemenu.AppendSeparator()
>   filemenu.Append(wx.ID_EXIT, 'E&xit', ' Terminate the program')
>
>   menuBar = wx.MenuBar()
>   menuBar.Append(filemenu, '&File')
>   self.SetMenuBar(menuBar)
>   self.Show(True)
>
> app = wx.App(False)
> frame = MainWindow(None, 'Sample editor')
> app.MainLoop()
>

> The menus doesn't appear in the product.
> Can anyone help me to find a tutorial that is for using wxPython on a
> Mac?
> Thanks
> Ata
> --

Did you look on the menubar? wxPython uses native components (Cocoa in the
case of OS X) so the menu should appear in the menu bar and not in the
application window. wx will automatically move some of the items in the menu
to the appropriate location (About, Preferences, and Quit are all in the
Application menu for instance and not the file menu)

The wxPython Wiki has a page about Mac-specific issues :
http://wiki.wxpython.org/Optimizing%20for%20Mac%20OS%20X

Also, you'll get better answer for questions like this (which are
wx-specific and not Python-specific) on the wxPython list:
http://groups.google.com/group/wxpython-users