Bugs in CPython 3.1.1 [wave.py]

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jan 12 22:40:52 EST 2010

On 1/12/2010 6:31 PM, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:

> Perhaps change to CAPTCHA instead of mail confirmation.

I disagree. The point of mail confirmation is not just to assure that a
human is registering, but that we have a valid email for responses to be
sent to. Many issues are filed with inadaquate info (platform, Python
version, full traceback, adequate code snippet, or whatever). So we need
to be able to reach a person.

Besides which, automated image recognition + barely paid human captcha
farms have made letter image increasingly useless. Many are now so
obscure that *I* usually get them wrong.

If there were to be a 'human verifier' system, it might be better based
on file-in-the-blank questions about Python.

What might be changed more easily is to accept a report but impound it
until the confirmation reply. Being able to spit out what one has to say
while it is still fresh in the mind should make the email wait more
tolerable. What do you think?

Terry Jan Reedy