How do you configure IDLE on a Mac, seeing as there's no Configure Option...

Mensanator mensanator at aol.com
Tue Jan 5 00:32:13 EST 2010

On Jan 4, 10:44 pm, Mensanator <mensana... at aol.com> wrote:
> On Jan 4, 10:05 am, Benjamin Kaplan <benjamin.kap... at case.edu> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Mensanator <mensana... at aol.com> wrote:
> > > ...because there's no [Options] menu on the shell window?
>
> > > Or at least give me a clue to how to use Courier New font?
>
> > > For some inscrutable reason, depite the plethora of formatting tools,
> > > someone decided that proportional spaced fonts ought to be the
> > > default for IDLE.
> > > --
>
> > Mac Applications don't have "options" menus. They have a "preferences"
> > pane which is the second item in the application menu
>
> Sometimes it's the second item, sometimes it's not
>
> > (the one that
> > takes the name of the active program) and has a keyboard shortcut of
> > Cmd-,
>
> > Apple's user-interface guidelines are pretty specific, so you'll find
> > that this works for all native OS X (i.e. not X11) applications.
>
> Right, it doesn't apply to IDLE which uses X11

Depending on how you launch it.

If I type "idle" at a command prompt, I get a shell window whose
parent
is X11. Here you will get X11 preferences which can't be used to
change fonts.

If I click the IDLE icon, then I get a shell whose parent is IDLE, not
X11 and
here you'll find a preferences window similar to the OPTIONS/Configure
in Windows.

> (there is a preferences
> window,
> but it doesn't have any font control, unlike stuff like Safari).
>
> I assume there must be a configuration file. Any idea what that file
> is called?

I still don't know but apparently as long as I use the IDLE
application
instead of X11, I can set the font.

Thanks for your time.