Spam from gmail (Was: fascism)

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.net
Tue Feb 23 11:09:54 EST 2010

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 15:31:12 +0000 (UTC)
Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
> >> Is it just me or has the spew from gmail on this list radically
> >> increased in the last week?  Anyone else considering blocking all gmail
> >> posts to this list?
> >
> > I did that a long time ago for all of the Usenet groups I read
> > and all but one of the mailing lists I read.
>
> Wait, I misread the posting.  I block everything from
> google.groups, not everything from gmail.

Yes, I did that a long time ago as well.  But now there seems to be
more and more actual spam coming from gmail.com itself.  It may just be
a minor blip on the spam graph but I'm keeping my eye on it.

Most mailing lists that I am on are pretty good at filtering spam
before it gets to the list.  The only spam I ever see on my NetBSD
lists are the ones that I moderate and I block them before anyone else
sees them.  A little more pain for me in return for a lot less pain for
everyone else.  I guess that's not possible on a list that is gatewayed
to UseNet like this one is.

Hmm.  I wonder if all the spam is coming from the NG side.  I'll have
to look at that.  One of the reasons that I stopped reading UseNet over
ten years ago was because of the diminishinig S/N ratio.  I have always
felt that it was a mistake to gateway this group.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves